Thursday, January 06, 2011

Are Daughter's Really A Liability?

Other day I saw the news on TOI that Justice Gyan Sudha Mishra, the only woman judge in the Supreme court, has declared her unmarried daughters as ‘liability’ on the court’s website. I pondered for a while and asked myself "what's my take on this article"? Firstly, I thought it's no more true! daughter's are not liability they are as good as son's provided they are educated and if they are educated they'll become self-reliant which by no means make them a 'liability' instead they will become 'Pillar of Support' but then i started thinking to the core and came the conclusion the woman Judge is right to some extent.

We need to think deeper on the issue as this statement is not coming just from anyone..but it's coming from a person who is quite higher in the ladder and when she herself being a woman has this notion then the issue has some weightage for sure.

There are so many rural/suburbs/urban areas where even these days girl child is killed because parents think at the time of her marriage they will have to shell out a hefty amount on her marriage as well as part of Dowry. Every now and then you see news of rape,harassment,dowry-killings/Honor-killings,etc. Until a girl gets married and gets support of life-partner,parent's are always worried because there is a sense of insecurity regarding her safety. Since ages we have always consider women as weak and it's still going on.

The basic problem in India is that we don't provide equal opportunities to the fairer sex...we decide what she can do/will do instead of females deciding what they can do/want to do because there are social obligations. If she does something which haven't done before we think what the people/relatives will say,how the society will react,etc. Other problem is of law enforcement..there are laws which empowers women but problem is lack of strict policing/fair trials..

If you compare the situation here with the west; things are totally at contrast....they provide equal opportunities to both the sexes..you will find women working as Police Officers/Train Drivers/Bus Drivers/Pilots/In Armed Forces/Bartenders/Restaurateur's..Point is that they don't classify what woman should do versus what they shouldn't plus there you have stringent rules which are enforced properly so no one dares to do anything against women.

This whole topic has raged a debate across tv-channels and online forums...I don't wanna take sides also can't say who is right or wrong but we need to understand there is problem lying beneath amid all this and we(the society) needs to find where does the problem lies and yes the question remains still unanswered...
Are Daughter's Really A Liability?

~ You're A Big Girl Now

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ya, totally. They are liablies and I am not ready to have girl child, if I am settled in India. I would give birth to a male child.

And if I have a girl child in any other west countries I would never return back.

I had to fight each level in my life, and there was a phase where no one understood me just because I am a girl. It sucked a lot. I hated those moments where I had to comprimise.

10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home